Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hey, it's a birthday!



I commute to office every day, for about an hour, at daybreak & return home as twilight prevails, in an automobile called as tempo traveler. We get to know new people who travel with us. We make friends. We also miss those beautiful people who, in the journey of life, at some point, prefer to take up different trails. We do hang out on weekends & we do celebrate birthdays of our cab mates. DON'T WE?

I remember seeing one of my senior friends eyes being moist at his birthday party, planned as a surprise. It was for the first time, in more than three decades, he was celebrating his birthday, ceremoniously. It was for the first time he blew candles & cut a cake, a delicious one. Birthday boy, oops birthday uncle, was very delighted at this pleasant surprise. His joy had no bounds yet he had it humble. His glittering eyes had an incredible happiness to share.


Birthday...Isn't it the best day of your life? Is it not the day which you eagerly await a whole year? I am damn sure you will nod your head in concurrence. I DO. Is it not the day you wish to be happy (more happy than on other days, though)?Is it not our birth right to remember our friends' birthdays? YES IT IS! Will we not be guilty if we forget & fail to bring a smile on a person's face by not wishing happy birthday? YES WE WILL BE.

As a famous joke goes, "best way to remember your wife's {(Don’t read it as wives) (girl friend's for bachelors) birthday is to forget it once. You will never forget it again". Don't you agree?

Social networking sites, these days, will keep saving if you do not remember any of those birthdates. You get hundred's of wishes, on your wall. So called best friends will wish in their own styles. Even if you give thousands of excuses, you will be made to pay a hefty bill. That is the best way it can happen. I love it.

There will be a few formal wishes from friends, acquaintances and also from people whom you might take a while to remember their name, if you happen to bump into each other. Thanks to Facebook, orkut, twitter etc. etc.

Have you ever realized what happens if you choose to turn off those notifications? How many names in your friends list remember YOUR BIRTHDAY? Check out.

By the way, how many do you REMEMBER?

28 comments:

  1. nice post. yes, it's a special day.

    changed your profile pic, eh? i was wondering whether i am visiting someone else's blog or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb.

      Yes, you are on my blog :) I am glad you noticed my profile pic ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks to you Amit sir. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean turn off notification and how many will rememebr your b'day .. SO true Not many remember..


    SO when is your birthday then , and if I jsut missed then a very happy belated birthday Hope you had a great day :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikram, My birthday is around two months from now. I would take your wishes for the previous one :) Thank you so much.
      This post was not about my birthday in particular (though i get a very few wishes), but seeing the trend of wishes on social networking sites. I have seen people writing on FB walls, but failing to wish when they appear infront of them...lol

      Delete
    2. Oh yes I know that for sure and its a trend .. its a fashion FB.. soon that will fade away till something new comes up.

      Two months time .. but what DATE :)

      Delete
    3. I hope it does fade away Bikram.

      It is the twelth day of the Seventh month in English calendar. :) When is yours sir???

      Do you still don that moustache??? :)

      Delete
    4. mine is the 11th day of the eleventh month :)
      and no the moustache has gone . :)

      Delete
  4. I remember the important ones which i cannot afford to forget.And otherwise for other peoples it is notifications :P
    Mine are forgotten by almost all just the notifications saves them :P
    It's a very sensitive topic you know.And yes there is no other day like your birthday but unfortunately or fortunately i always end up crying on my birthday.There has been just one birthday i dint cry and it seems i gonna remember it the best of all.
    You pick out so unique topics.I like reading you :) And with that schedule you make it a point to remember and pick up the daily routine points is what is amazing me the most write now!
    Take care
    I wish to wish you on your birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alcina, Oh dear, you are so kind and so generous in your comment. I have no words to express my happiness right now. I wish your wish comes true (i will email you my birth date) :).
      I also wish, from now on, you never cry on your birthday. If you have to shed your tears, i wish they be it on a happy note. I hope you will have many more birthdays worth to be the best ones you cherish.
      Never depend on the notifications, write down the ones you never want to forget Alcina.
      Once again i thank you a trillion ton for such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  5. Mak, Very nice post and this time too you stirred emotions. Birthdays are special and every one can not have blast on Birthday but will definitely wish for some sort of celebration or receipt of few loving wishes, a flower, greeting card.
    I am not on FB or Twitter so very few friends in real life to remember and wish me Birthday. I am so glad to read about your friends Birthday celebration..every one should be surrounded with friend circle like yours...you all took good care of him. Wising your friend many more cheerful returns of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usha, i never thought this post would turn up to be so emotional. My apologies :). You are right when you say that we all expect a few wishes if not a big bash. unfortunately, we end up being sad when the expectations are unmet.
      I also agree having good friends who surprise us with celebrations on our birthdays. I remember my hostel days when i was made to run around to evade getting beaten up with rotten eggs and tomatoes on my birthday. Those were the beautiful days for me.
      I will definitely convey your warm wishes to my friend. I am sure he will be delighted with your gesture. Thank you very much Usha.

      I think you missed my previous post. I always look up to your comments, one of the first persons to read my posts. So please keep visiting. Here is the link :)Thank you again for taking time to read.
      http://maks-journy-nevr-ends.blogspot.in/2012/05/children-of-lesser-god.html

      Delete
  6. Mak, I would never hide my Bday as I love getting wishes. And it was such a sweet gesture you guys do. No wonder he had happy tears. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure everyone loves to be wished on a birthday Saru :)
      When is yours?

      Delete
    2. 5th December and when is yours???

      Delete
    3. mine is on 12th of July Saru :)

      Delete
  7. Mak, yes, birthdays are super special!!! The days I stay from Fb is killing because I do not know which friend's birthday I may have missed that day :(
    Happy birthday to your friend!!! I understand how it feels to celebrate it when you are growing older..I once bought my mom colorful balloons for her 65th birthday. You should have seen how happy it made her! And Mak, let us know when your birthday is on the corner....will send blog wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never stay away from FB Bhavana :)

      I will convey your wishes to my friend. I can imagine how happy your mom would have felt on her birthday. So nice of you to surprise her with balloons. Great.

      Mine is on 12th July Bhavana. Would like to know yours too :)

      Delete
  8. Hi

    Indeed they are very special...During college I stayed in hostel but my stupid birthday would always come during the holidays and whenever we celebrated someone;s bday during a non-hooliday time, Boy ! I used to get soooo jealous ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have born in October or in April Jaishree??? :) Sad that you didn't get a chance to celebrate in hostel. one way you must be lucky, you escaped from getting the birthday kicks on your bum :) i have had many of those :(

      Delete
  9. That's so sweet of u all Mak.. U all have given him such a happiest moment that he will remember it his entire life:) Good job:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy that moment Sonia. Indeed it was worth cherishing. Thank you :)

      Sad thing is now we are not in the same cab :(

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful post Mak!! I loved it!! So true....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Mak, birthdays of cab mates, friends n office mates shud b remembered bt unfortunately v don't, although we meet them daily yet v take them for granted. Bt , thnx to FB n Orkut!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anu, better you start writing down your cabies birth dates :) so that you can remember them.

    ReplyDelete